Dragon fruits are exotic fruits and have gained popularity for their unique appearance, sweet taste and nutritional value.
Dragon fruits are typically oval-shaped with a diameter of 6 to 12 inches. Their skin is thin and scaly, ranging in color from pink to red to yellow, depending on the variety. The flesh is white or red, dotted with tiny black seeds. Dragon fruits have a mild, sweet flavor that is often described as a combination of kiwi, pear, and watermelon. They are a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, including vitamin C, iron, and potassium.
Harvesting Dragon Fruits-
Dragon fruits are typically ready to harvest 30 to 40 days after flowering. The best way to tell if a dragon fruit is ripe is to look for the following signs:
– The skin has changed color from green to pink, red, or yellow, depending on the variety.
– The skin is slightly wrinkled.
– The fruit gives slightly to the touch.
Net Wt : 20 seeds
MRP : 99 TK
To harvest a dragon fruit, simply twist it from the vine. Be careful not to pull too hard, as this can damage the fruit.
Once harvested, dragon fruits can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to two weeks.
Here are some additional tips for harvesting dragon fruits:
– Harvest dragon fruits in the morning when the air is cool and moist.
– Avoid harvesting dragon fruits after a heavy rain, as this can make them more susceptible to cracking.
– Handle dragon fruits with care to avoid bruising.
– Store dragon fruits in a cool, dark place with good air circulation.
Additional Tips for Growing Dragon Fruits –
– Choose a sunny spot in your garden with well-drained soil.
– Start dragon fruit seeds indoors 4 to 6 weeks before the last frost.
– Transplant dragon fruit seedlings into the garden after the last frost.
– Water dragon fruit plants regularly, especially during hot, dry weather.
– Fertilize dragon fruit plants every few weeks with a balanced fertilizer.
– Mulch around dragon fruit plants to help conserve moisture and suppress weeds.
With a little care and attention, you can enjoy a bountiful harvest of dragon fruits from your own garden.